More alarmingly, the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) reports that a further 232 million people remain undiagnosed, with the majority of them believed to have type 2 diabetes. In the Philippines alone diabetes is one of the leading causes of death and places a heavy burden on many families who are living with the disease.
“Last year, there were 463 million adults living with diabetes globally. That’s 1 out of 11 people who have the condition. There are about 3.7 million diabetic Filipinos, and this number is expected to double in the next 5 years. Only 34% are diagnosed, 27% are treated, and only 11% are on insulin. Among those treated, less than 50% are able to manage or control their disease. Globally, 1 life is lost every 7 seconds because of diabetes and its complications. As partners for building a healthier Philippines, we have the chance to step up in solidarity for our friends and family with diabetes. Even a simple gesture of raising awareness, getting the word out to help people better understand the disease and the risk factors behind it can go a long way in the prevention and management of diabetes. Another way to describe diabetes is a lifestyle disease. If we actively promote an active and well-balanced lifestyle for our families, where we get sufficient physical activity and proper nutrition, this will play a major role in reducing the prevalence of chronic disease in the coming years. If we actively promote an active and well-balanced lifestyle for our families, where we get sufficient physical activity and proper nutrition, this will play a major role in reducing the prevalence of chronic disease in the coming years.” ~Amal Makhloufi Benchouk, Sanofi Philippines Country Lead
- To join, you may register at Takbo.ph, where you can select your preferred distance of 15k, 30k, 50k, or 100k. Registration lasts until November 30 only.
- We recommend you use Strava, Nike, or Garmin to record and keep track of your time. If you wish to use a treadmill, you may do so provided that your time and distance will be indicated.
- Should you choose to run outdoors, always remember to practice social distancing and make use of the proper protective equipment.
- Register on #StepUp4WDD Virtual Run via https://app.takbo.ph/all-races/step-up-virtual-run-2020
- Post a video while running on TikTok and tag 5 of your friends to join.
- Use this caption upon posting: I pledge to #StepUp4WDD in the fight against diabetes. I challenge @name1 @name2 @name3 @name4 @name5 to join.
- Use the following hashtags upon posting: #WorldDiabetesDay #SanofiPH #PanatangSanofi #DiabetesYourType
- Lifestyle and Chronic Diseases
Sanofi is your health journey partner. We are dedicated to being there through life’s ups and downs—for every challenge, big or small, lifelong or temporary. We transform scientific innovations into healthcare solutions to prevent and manage a broad range of medical conditions. We prevent illness with vaccines and provide treatments to fight pain and ease suffering. We also stand by the few who suffer from rare diseases and the millions with long-term chronic conditions. Login to www.sanofi.ph to learn more about Sanofi Philippines.